Originally built in 1235, it housed the civil hospital until 1961. Born as the church of St. John the Baptist (the Gothic arch of the entrance still remains), the Teutonic Knights of Rhodes (Knights of Malta) transformed it into a hospital under the title of St. Mary Magdalene; its facade of 1867 is the work of the engineer from Agrigento Dionisio Sciascia.